Hey everybody! Velocity’s
modern player forwarding has made it into Paper as of build #377.
The biggest advantages of the modern player forwarding include:
- Secure: BungeeCord IP forwarding allows anyone to spoof any player, potentially allowing someone to impersonate someone with a specially-modified client if your server is not properly configured. Velocity requires the use of HMAC-SHA256 authentication to ensure that only your proxies can connect to your server.
- 1.13 Native: The Velocity IP forwarding support is designed to be mod-friendly, especially for Forge 1.13.
- Compact Format: Velocity sends player data in a more compact binary format, compared to the BungeeCord IP forwarding format.
To configure Velocity IP forwarding support in Paper 1.13.1:
- Keep in mind this will deny access to clients older than Minecraft 1.13!
- Make sure to set
player-info-forwarding-mode = "modern"in your
velocity.toml. We generate a
forwarding-secretwhen you first start Velocity. You can change this value. Copy this because you’ll need it later.
- On each of your Paper 1.13.1+ servers:
- Make sure
settings.bungeecord: falseis set in your
settings.velocity-support.secret: SECRET-FROM-VELOCITY-TOMLin your
paper.yml. If your proxy is in offline-mode, you’ll also need to set
settings.velocity-support.online-mode: falseas well.
- Make sure
- Restart Velocity and your Paper servers.